Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Soha's real life stories

Soha Ali Khan will be seen essaying the role of a journalist in her upcoming film Mumbai Meri Jaan. The film is about the serial train blasts that shook Mumbai on 11th July 2006.

Very few people know that like her character in the film, Soha actually wanted to be a journalist in real life. "I wanted to be a journalist myself. I have experienced that drive to report and to get to the truth of the matter. My character is very emotional. We have not tried to ridicule the media in the film. The film takes a very hard look at journalism. I am not sure how the media would respond to it and whether it would accept it or not.

"I hope it will generate a lot of discussion. Films like these aim to make you think. If it sparks some kind of discussion then it will achieve its ambition. No one can deny that journalism is sensationalist. Sometimes the media forgets that the people they are interviewing are human. A lot of journalism out there has become desensitized to that. I am appalled by some of the reporting that I see on Television."

The entire Khan family, be it brother Saif Ali Khan, father Mansoor Ali Khan or even herself; have always been in the limelight. So has there been an incident where Soha came across an insensitive reporter like her character in the film? "It has happened many times. There was a particular event that we had for spreading awareness about terrorism quite recently. Perhaps because the journalists who attended were required to cover entertainment news, the lines got a little blurred. The questions were more entertainment related or more about the bold trend in Bollywood or Hollywod these days when actually what we were trying to cover was something more significant.

"That was very frustrating. Also personal questions are asked a lot of times in a way in which they are very upsetting. I am often asked my opinion on certain issues which I obviously do not feel great about. On the other side of the camera, when I am being interviewed I am unsympathetic to the media," revealed the petite actress

0 comments: