Thursday, August 28, 2008

It’s a dumb idea!

Though Naseeruddin Shah is happy with Jagmohan Mundhra’s Shoot on Sight, where he plays the pivotal role of a Muslim cop in England whose loyalty is questioned by the establishment, he has refused to dub for its Hindi version. When contacted, Naseer said, “It’s a dumb idea to dub an English film into a Hindi one. Even the English characters speak in Hindi in the dubbed version. I have dissociated myself from the dubbed version by refusing to dub for it because it looks idiotic. So they got someone else to dub for me.”


Who would have dubbed his voice? He replied, “I don’t know and I don’t care who did it. Maybe Johnny Lever. I am just not interested. I will definitely not watch the Hindi version of Shoot On Sight. Sadly actors have no control over their work.”

The English version of Shoot on Sight was released in London on August 22 and the Hindi version is slated to release in India on September 19. Also Naseer has no plans to attend the film’s premiere in London. He reasoned, “What’s the point? Premieres are such a bore; it’s very boring to stand stiff in a suit answering dumb questions. But the message of the film is important. And, it’s an international film.”

All said and done, Naseer’s kitty is full with interesting and at times, contrasting roles. While on the one hand, Naseer is playing a cop who investigates terrorism in Shoot On Sight, on the other hand he will be seen shortly as a terror-mastermind in Neeraj Pandey’s A Wednesday.

Talking about his role in A Wednesday, Naseer said, “It is definitely a scary thought though outside the realms of the possible. I play a kind of genius who sits there talking calmly about the bombs. One had to play this rather improbable part as naturally as possible. That’s the reason why my character seems menacing. Fortunately my part isn’t that of a typical terrorist.

A Wednesday goes into the aftermath of July 11 train bombings. It doesn’t show the actual bombings. That would have been treading into sensitive territory. There were people who actually had their hearts torn out of their bodies by that event. The last thing we wanted is to open up old wounds. Even, I got nightmares each time my sons travelled by train. The film doesn’t ruffle any feathers.”

0 comments: