Saturday, October 11, 2008

'My country has given me three Oscars'

Director Madhur Bhandarkar, three-time national awardee, whose ambitious film 'Fashion' is releasing this month end, winning an Oscar matters little.

"I don't believe in running after Oscars. India has given me three National Awards. They are my Oscars," Bhandarkar told PTI.

The director, however, says he has no objection if his films are selected by the jury for Oscars but he is not ready to be part of the hype and attention that surrounds these awards in India.

"Recognition of Indian people matters the most as they are the main viewers of my films," says Bhandarkar.

Bhandarkar's National Award winning films like "Chandni Bar (2001)", "Page 3 (2005)" and "Traffic Signal (2007) are famous for their strong story-lines and often have a female protagonists as lead characters.

"My latest film is about the emotional journey of a model played by Priyanka Chopra. This film is going to be a landmark in Priyanka's acting career. She has never before played a character with such substance," he says.

So, how did the idea to make a film on fashion industry come?

"I have attended several fashion shows as a guest but it never attracted my attention much but when I saw that media was taking such interest and devoting special shows, I became curious.

"I decided to decipher the mystery of fashion to the common public. It is not about pretty faces doing catwalk. I wanted to go behind the screens and bring back other aspects of the industry to the viewers," says the director known for his well researched movies.

0 comments: