Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Karan Johar: Once bitten, twice shy

After being let down by his directors in the past, Karan Johar has finally stopped being sentimental. Many directors, whom his company Dharma Productions nurtured and cultivated, later walked out on him, waving goodbye. But KJo's had enough.


Now, he has put all his directors on a 3-film contract including Kajol's cousin Ayaan Mukherjee who has just started directing Wake Up, Sid with Ranbir Kapoor and Konkona Sen-Sharma. Says Karan, "Barring Rensil d'Silva who's bound to make just one film with us (because he comes from an established ad world and we mutually decided to keep him bound for only one project), all the other directors are bound by a 3-film contract."

What does he hope to achieve by binding them in a contract? He says, "I've my own little Whistling Woods (Subhash Ghai's film school) in my production house. My endeavour is to establish an academy of directors who won't just make one movie for us and move on. I hope they'll stay with us and make more movies. I want to encourage new-age cinema. I'm really happy to cultivate all this talent. I've had first-time directors starting with Nikhil Advani in Kal Ho Naa Ho and Soham Shah in Kaal to Tarun Mansukhani in Dostana, Ayaan Mukherjee in Wake Up, Sid and Rensil D 'Silva and we've just signed Siddharth Malhotra. But one must be professional about work. Yes, they're contractually bound to make three films with us. But there's an inherent loyalty to the banner in them. And I've complete faith that these new directors won't move on from our banner."

0 comments: