Joining the league of film stars on the small screen, actress Sushmita Sen recently made her debut with the reality show Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena.


By roping in popular cricketers to shake a leg for the first time on a reality dance show, Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena has managed to create the right buzz. But Sushmita's looks has drawn criticism, all that weight the actress has added to her tall frame hasn't gone down well with her fans, and of course the media.

“I love these weighty issues. I think they are lovely. One of the concerns that I have often had are about people and not necessarily people in general but specifically people in media. It’s the fact that when you run out of story ideas you look for weighty issues to talk about and that’s not a problem as long as it doesn’t blow up too much in poeple's faces and takes away from the work that I am doing which is whether TV or film. You talk about what you want, I will be very happy bystander,” Sushmita said.

The actress will soon be turning director with her ambitious dream project, a film on the life of Rani Laxmibai. And she says she has a very strong reason for going behind the camera.

“I have lived with this film for a year-and-a-half. For me to get anybody else to direct this film would mean conflict of interests on the sets because we would be constantly fighting about which visions to fulfill and that’s why I am doing it,” Sushmita said.

Sushmita also plans to essay the title role of Rani Laxmibai in the film and is currently immersed in the pre-production.

“The film will be made soon. But right now my primary concern is quite few of them. It is a huge canvas. It is a women-oriented film which is not necessarily one of the most saleable concept on commercial Indian films term. And it’s a very big film and I don’t want to compromise on it,” she said.

“Having said that, we have finished the screenplay, we are down to storyboarding and once the storyboarding is complete and my seven minutes presentation is ready for my international buyers, that’s when I close the chapter till I am ready with my wishlist, my technicians and the funding,” she added.

Sushmita's directorial debut in and as Rani Laxmibai, well that’s one film we definitely wouldn't want to miss.

0 comments: