Amole Gupte, who played a pivotal role in making Taare Zameen Par, a film that fought against the very concept of competitive spirit and being a part of the rat race, is surprised that the film will now 'compete' with other films at the prestigious Oscar Awards. The film has been nominated as India's entry to the Oscars in the Best Foreign Film category.

Amole, who is currently shooting for Vishal Bharadwaj's Kaminey in Hyderabad, said, "TZP was about how cut-throat competition smothers one's creative spirit. Now the film itself is getting recognition at various competitions, and now it has gone for the Oscars."

Amole says he has seen a few of the other films which were being considered as India's entry to the Oscars. "Two Marathi films, Tingya and Valu, and the Hindi film Mumbai Meri Jaan were fabulous. Any of these could've made a good entry to the Oscars," said Amole.

Amole says that he is happy with his film going to the Oscars. "I'd be a fool to not be happy. For me, the film was never an end. In fact, TZP was a means of taking my ideas about children's welfare to a wider audience. The Oscars is a platform for world cinema, so now my ideas will reach more people. The film has changed the attitude to parenting in India," added Amole.

"Today, more than the Oscars, I am concerned about the conferences and seminars held on parenting that TZP has inspired," said Amole.

We ask Amole about TZP's producer and director Aamir Khan not being in touch with him anymore. "That's a closed chapter," said Amole.

"If I'm called to help in any capacity for the film going to the Oscars, I'd be foolish to turn down the offer.

Amole Gupte
Any attention the film gets will further my fight for children's rights. In my own way I've participated in the success of TZP, though not in the way that's obvious," added Amole.

Talking about his upcoming film, Amole said, "The last one year has been spent relentlessly in making my next film India Item a worthy project. But I still need a star component to make it commercially viable."

But it’s surprising to note that Amole hasn't cast a single child actor from TZP in India Item. Apparently, none of the child artistes, including Darsheel Safary have bothered to keep in touch with him. "They know which way their interests will be served," Amole chuckled and said.

Currently, Amole is playing the role of the villain in Kaminey, and is having a good time. "It's nice to be on another director's sets. My dramatic role in Kaminey gives me a chance to test my skills in unexpected ways," said Amole.

0 comments: