Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Director's director: Karan Johar

Add one more feather to Karan Johar’s cap. He has just done a cameo for Zoya Akhtar’s debut film Luck By Chance and his scene was with Hrithik Roshan! Said Karan, “Duggu is a friend, so that helped. Riteish, who was also on the sets, is also a pal. And then Farhan and Zoya are childhood friends. We used to go on family holidays together. So when Zoya asked me to do a cameo role, I jumped at it, although I know I’m a terrible actor! I remember after I played Shah Rukh’s friend in Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, he very frankly told me I should never attempt to act again. But what to do? I’m a limelight moth. And not every director in this country gets the chance to share screen space with Shah Rukh and Hrithik.”
Strangely, this year Karan will have three releases as an actor. “But relax, Shah Rukh needn’t feel threatened,” chuckled Karan. “In C Kkompany, Fashion and Luck By Chance, I play myself. In Fashion, Madhur Bhandarkar wanted me to sit in the front row and clap for the models on the ramp. I did C Kkompany because of Ekta Kapoor. I can never say no to her. Just because I’m doing three films in a row doesn’t mean I’m going into acting.”
But Karan doesn’t disapprove of this new trend of directors making cameo appearances. “If they have it in them, why not,” he asked. “When a director is asked to face the camera, it’s with a specific purpose in mind. And even if a director is a terrible actor, like me, he’s just making a token presence. Believe me, only two kind of people call themselves terrible at a job. The really modest ones and the really bad ones. And when it comes to acting, I don’t have to tell you which category I belong to.”

0 comments: